Friday, May 15, 2009

The Lighter Side of the Legislative Session--Getting Home

A bright ray of sunshine heralded the end of the legislative session last Friday: I was able to switch my 9:50PM flight out of Boise to the 5:20. I must admit, I was so happy at this prospect; I arrived at the airport more than two hours early. For those of you familiar with Gowan Field in Boise; you can sometimes get there, check in and board the plane in less than an hour. Tells you something about my desire to get back to northern Idaho.

My first week back home has been a flat out run between handling ongoing constituent concerns and tackling the job jar that has grown fat at home. A few well-timed phone calls interspaced with trips to Lowes and the supermarket still left me in a pleasant frame of mind.

It has been a cold and rainy spring, but it has made the grass so green, I have had to have a good look at the golf clubs and schedule several rounds of golf. I look forward to them. This is my first summer since my so-called retirement and gosh darn it, I want to get out on the links just a little bit more than I have been able to in many years.

Another reason I’m glad to be home: I missed our dogs. I’m not too proud to admit that I am very firmly attached to the dogs Cynthia and I have and we spoil them rotten. It’s all part of what makes a fun, warm home and what all legislators end up missing when they are gone for so long.

Thursday we welcomed my colleague Senator Chuck Winder of Boise along with his wife Dianne to our home in Hayden Lake. They made for delightful company.

This weekend I am looking forward to refreshing old and making new acquaintances at the upcoming CSG meetings, which are being held this year in Coeur d’Alene. The Council of State Governments is an important national organization which helps people become better legislators. I have visited some of these conferences before and I have always enjoyed the company of individuals from across this great land of ours. Except this time I get to sleep in my own bed at the end of each evening! With the dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment